Sunday, October 24, 2010

"Non-Traditional" Students and Non-Traditional Consultations

After completing the reading for this week, I honestly feel a bit intimidated about my future position as a writing consultant.  These articles offered a number of issues that I had never considered possibly encountering, such as trying to find the power balance in a consultation with a student who is an elder or trying to maintain a position of neutrality and/or objectivity when faced with a paper that is offensively biased.

Personally, I don't really know how I would have handled any of the situations presented in the readings.  And just the thought of my uneasiness with these predicaments makes me question my capability as a consultant.  Of course, after reading Sherwood's article on failures in consulting, I understand the success as a consultant is a process and will definitely come with its shortcomings.  Nevertheless, even after reading these articles, I still can't quite say with confidence how I would approach a number of the situations presented. 

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." --Yogi Berra

No comments:

Post a Comment