Sunday, November 28, 2010

Research Blog

After looking back on my blog about my most recent shadowing experience, I've decided that for my final assignment I will address the following question:  How can awareness and control of little things aid in my heightened effectiveness as a writing consultant? OR:  What little things can I do to improve my effectiveness as a writing consultant?  By little things, I mean such things as manner of greeting, pen color used for corrections, language for written and verbal commentary, and the like.  Slight differences in these things can be the difference between an extremely helpful consultation and one that could potentially leave the writer feeling frustrated, disrespected, incompetent, confused, upset, overwhelmed, or unmotivated. 

Check out this cute story I came across while doing research: 

And here are some of the sources I've come across in JSTOR and Google Scholar searches:

"'Never Use a Red Pen' and Other Maxims for Reflective Teaching"
by J. Mark Schuster
search terms:  "red pen"
--Explores strategies to help teachers become more "reflective" of how they operate with students and their teaching experiences; ties into how we should be constantly reflecting on our experiences in the writing center and beyond to improve our interactions.

"Beyond the Red Pen: Clarifying Our Role in the Response Process"
by Bryan A. Bardine, Molly Schmitz Bardine and Elizabeth F. Deegan
search terms:  "red pen"
--Explores the (in)effectiveness of some written commentary

"Improving the Silent Curriculum"
by Philip L. Hosford
search terms: "interpersonal skills in the classroom"
--Explores the different impacts teachers make on students (and others) in the way they approach their teaching; looks at positive and negative effects

"The 'Smack of Difference': The Language of Writing Center Discourse"
by Thomas Hemmeter
search terms: writing center
--Explores efforts to define the writing center; discusses environment, location, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment