Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Breaking All the Rules

While I haven't yet had the opportunity to shadow a writing consultant (because of a little miscommunication), I have had the chance to put my writing consultant training to work.  And guess what I didn't do:  follow all of the helpful techniques to assist writers as opposed to the piece of writing.

My best friend is on The Collegian staff, and she asked me to read over one part of the article she was working on.  As I already knew the aim of the article, I asked, "What is it exactly that you want me to focus on."  At least I started off on the right foot, right?  She told me that she just wanted me to make sure that particular part of the paper made sense and didn't sound stupid.  So I started reading the text on the screen, and the first thing I did was to point out a couple of typographical errors.  Strike one.  Not to mention I was reading silently to myself.  Strike two. The wording in one of the sentences just didn't sit right with me, but I couldn't put my finger on what was problematic.  My contemplative silence was interrupted by her questioning: "Does it sound stupid?  Is it enough?"  Not really knowing how to communicate my thoughts, I just answered, "Yeah, it's fine.  It sounds good."  And it was good, but there was still something awkward or something about that sentence.  Thank goodness she talked more about her thoughts and highlighted a particular area that she felt could be stronger; I fed off of her and was able to eventually communicate my thoughts.  Just shy of strike three.  Or maybe I had already gotten it--who knows.

I realized just how difficult it is to get in the habit of using a particular technique when I am so used to just pointing out errors and talking over alternate wording for problematic sentences.  I've served as "editor" for a few of her written works, and that is how it usually goes.  Mind you, my friend is an excellent writer--many times I have no suggestions to give.  However, I realized in this most recent instance that it is crucial that I break out of my habitual way of handling the writing of my close friends/family and start putting into practice the techniques we are learning in class.

1 comment:

  1. Amani,
    I think I always learn more from the times I screw up than from the times I do it just right: ) This is a good example of reflecting on an experience in a fruitful way.

    ReplyDelete